Clear all

Auto Mag Progress Update

1,704 Posts
106 Users
944 Likes
84.3 K Views
(@robautomag)
Estimable Member Admin Member

The fastest way to post all the pictures and videos was to just upload them to dropbox and post a link click here

PackHawk and AndyC reacted
ReplyQuote
(@pantera-mike)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @robautomag

Just quick update for you guys. The move to in house production is progressing well. The machines are in place and are being tooled up as I am writing this. We also are working on the final stamping die right now. I will post pictures once I figure out how to upload all of them at once.

Rob—sorry you lost us. Move to in-house production of what, exactly? Last I heard you said you were having issues with subcontractors for major components and were trying to source them from multiple sources to prevent production backlogs. Are you saying you are now working on dismissing the subcontractors and bringing all the actual part manufacturing in-house? Please clarify.  Thanks! And know we are all pulling for you!

ReplyQuote
(@phenry3)

We have had three stopages in production due to supply chain issues. There are a number of parts or operations that we currently only have one vendor. Those are the Barrel, Barrel Extension, Bolt, Cocking Piece, Front Sight, Trigger Bar, Hold open, Saftey Plate, and Frame. Also we need rifling of barrel blanks and cutting of lugs in the barrel extension. We now have the equipment to finish the barrel, barrel extension, bolt, cocking piece, front sight, and cut the lugs in the barrel extension. We have completely finished the Saftey plate and trigger bar dies and are almost finished with the hold open dies. It will be 3-6 weeks before we are able to complete barrels, barrel extensions, bolts and cocking pieces. We already are doing front sights. That leaves us with two parts that we only have one supplier. The rifling of barrel blanks and frame castings. We have contacted a second rifling shop in Texas that is interested in doing that operation for us. The Frames casting house has never had a problem shipping to us in a timely manor but at some point we will have a second casting mold made that will contain all the improvements we made to the original mold and allow it to be robotically operated. We have 215 6 ½ rifled barrel blanks that should be in the next 2-3 weeks. That will allow us to start assembly of 6 ½ guns. We have 300 8 ½ inch barrel blanks that we are making a new reamer and rifling button in order to get those complete. I will know more on timing in the next week or so.

Patrick

Paul.Wolf, PackHawk, BeltFedEd and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@gbertolet)
Estimable Member

Thank you Mr Henry. It's good to hear from you. We do appreciate the updates.

PackHawk reacted
ReplyQuote
(@packhawk)
Estimable Member

@robautomag 

Thanks for uploading these!

ReplyQuote
(@andyc)
Reputable Member

The progress is encouraging. From payment to delivery of my pistol, my own wait was 37 months (and those who bought before me waited even longer) - I don't want to play the "old salt", but I'm really glad that you more recent guys won't have the agonizing wait that we Founders Edition guys had to go through.

I know the anxiety well and feel for you - but I have to assure you that the wait will absolutely be worth it in the end and the pistol is a joy to own and shoot. Hang in there!

ReplyQuote
(@tnyahoo)

UNBOXING REVIEW AHEAD

My Founder's Edition arrived just two weeks ago, and every time I look at it, it's still hard to believe I actually have it.  The last time a wait seemed this long to me was as a kid waiting for Christmas!

I can only exclaim to each of you gentlemen, that this weapon is truly everything we all hoped it would be.  In addition to the weapon itself, the team did a phenomenal job putting together the packaging and internal materials, from the production notes to the presentation case.  The reveal of each element reminds me of unboxing a finely crafted handgun in 1975 all over again, from the felt-laden bottom to the polished challenge coin.  They really went the extra mile with the details, and it shows.

The weapon itself is indeed profound in appearance, with it's 8.5" barrel and high-polish finish, which is quite the departure from what is typically seen in the used marketplace given it's comparable price. Having never held an 8.5" version of this pistol before, the additional weight is only slightly noticeable, and does not appear to make the weapon "front-heavy" as one would expect. It is quite easy and natural to keep the sights on target.

Charging (not racking) the slide felt more like operating the breech on a 105, than a one-handed pistol! The action is quite stout, especially when new, and required me to use a gloved hand to pull the slide back when the hammer was down. Sharper serrations on the cocking piece might solve this, but at a cost of increased wear to the hand and holster. For now, I will break in the action at the range and re-evaluate after 100 or so shots. Other than this small issue, the action itself was perfectly smooth, and held an extremely tight lockup with it's M16-inspired locking lugs.

I have not yet fired this piece of art, but will soon and advise of any issues. Bruce Stark shared with me his personal favorite loading for the 44AMP, so it's off to the range to make some new and legendary memories with my eager son.

As a contributor to IMFDB for many years, I took notice of the lack of information regarding the Auto Mag main page, and the recent developments and history. Please note that this page, and it's reference points for several shows and movies, has now been fully updated (including the full reference and screen shots for that single episode of T.J. Hooker that featured "CLINT-2"). Please call me if you have any recommended changes or additions to the link below:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/AMC_Auto_Mag_Pistol

Thanks so much, Patrick and Team (Yes. you too, Rob!). Given the challenges you have experienced over the last 6 years, to both your sanity and from those wishing to test your patience by abandoning their own, I raise my glass. I, for one, am truly glad you were successful in breaking with the one tradition that seems to tacitly follow the Automag name wherever it goes, and have instead decided to build a new one; that of men who keep their promises. 🍸

Blatz62, Rob Richardson, AndyC and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@paul-wolf)
Estimable Member

Just finished loading up 300 more rounds powered by W296 that I bought when I ordered my 8.5” Classic in 2018. The new gun is a very accurate shooter. Recoil is not bad at all in my view.

AndyC reacted
ReplyQuote
 CE-1
(@wayne)

@andyc 

If memory serves me correctly, the Classic Edition was announced before the Founders edition.  I ordered my Classic Edition January 17, 2018 and still anxiously awaiting its arrival.  I have no doubt it will arrive sooner or later.  I think the Founders arrived FOR SALE several months after the Classic.  Congratulations on your Founders Edition.  I believe January 17, 2018 was the first date you could order the new Auto-Mag.

ReplyQuote
(@andyc)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @wayne

@andyc 

If memory serves me correctly, the Classic Edition was announced before the Founders edition.  I ordered my Classic Edition January 17, 2018 and still anxiously awaiting its arrival.  I have no doubt it will arrive sooner or later.  I think the Founders arrived FOR SALE several months after the Classic.  Congratulations on your Founders Edition.  I believe January 17, 2018 was the first date you could order the new Auto-Mag.

@wayne

I don't know which was announced first - I had always assumed it was the Founders but I'm happy to be corrected. I don't think the first order-date you mention is correct though as, looking through my records, I paid for my FE AutoMag on Jan 4, 2018 - and I was told that the Founders series was already almost sold-out by then.

I'm sorry about the anxiety (boy, do I know how that feels) - but based on Patrick's update above I'm sure it won't be too much longer.

CE-1 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@george-mcgee)

I ordered my FE 9.14.17and I was #36 out of 50 originally. 

AndyC reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bob-cohee)
Estimable Member Owner Member

I am pretty sure the Founder's Edition was announced first.  I ordered and paid for mine on September 7, 2017 and I certainly was not the first to order.

AndyC reacted
ReplyQuote
 CE-1
(@wayne)

@andyc 

ReplyQuote
 CE-1
(@wayne)

AndyC,  I can only assume not everyone was notified on the same date for taking orders.  My order was on January 17, 2018 and the Founders edition may have been offered between   

July 2017 and the date you mentioned.  In July, 2017 they notified everyone they would soon be taking orders.  I stand corrected and thank everyone for additional comments      

on the dates.         

ReplyQuote
(@andyc)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @george-mcgee

I ordered my FE 9.14.17and I was #36 out of 50 originally. 

The background to my purchase is that I had left a VM for Patrick to confirm I was in the line for a Classic and he called me back from his car, saying one earlier purchaser had just pulled out and I could upgrade to an FE and take his spot #76 of 77, IIRC - so I jumped at the chance (lucky fluke of timing). Over time with refunds going back to other folks, my position climbed up the ladder and I ended up with FE39; a friend of mine got FE77.

ARMiller reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 21 / 114
Share:

Never Miss A Detail

Get our Newsletter.

Don't worry. We don't have time to spam you or sell your info.